Enter a Dynamic Profession and Become a Valued Member of a Legal Team
Graduates of the ABA-approved Paralegal Certificate Program are well prepared to assist in the effective delivery of legal services in both the private and public sectors of our society. Paralegals are trained members of a legal team who work under the supervision of attorneys. A team concept approach to legal matters ensures professional representation of clients and reduces the cost of legal services. Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law. Through classroom lectures, readings, and practical assignments, students become familiar with the role of the paralegal in the legal environment.
Why choose USD's Paralegal Program?
- The USD Paralegal Program began in 1975 and in 1977 became the first ABA-approved Paralegal Program in San Diego
- Recognized quality and highly regarded in the legal community
- Day and evening paralegal certificate program options
- Employment assistance offered to all qualified students and graduates
- Full service law library with convenient hours, right on campus
- Internships to gain real world experience and hit the ground running
- Faculty comprised of experienced practitioners, committed to the training and utilization of paralegals
- Superior student support and personalized attention from dedicated program staff
- Federal government loans available to qualified graduate students
American Bar Association (ABA) approval, a national benchmark, ensures students quality in curriculum, faculty, libraries, and student services. California’s Business and Professions Code lists graduation from an ABA-approved paralegal program as one of the criteria for using the title of paralegal. An Advisory Committee comprised of attorneys, paralegals, educators, and members of the general public meets regularly to review curriculum issues and employment trends.
The goal of the USD Paralegal Certificate Program is to familiarize students with basic legal concepts and terminology, the elements of legal research, our court structure, computer software use in the law office, and legal ethics. Supplementing this generalized background, students will receive instruction in substantive areas of law.
On-Campus Law Library
The Pardee Legal Research Center is one of the premier academic law libraries in the country. USD paralegal students enjoy a full-service law library with convenient hours.
Learn more about the dynamic profession of paralegalism including local and regional networking opportunities.
Information Sessions & Career Forums
Visit our Contact Us page for upcoming event dates or to request more information.