Improve Your TOEFL Score and Plan to Study in an American University
Located on the beautiful University of San Diego campus, this *14 and 10-week program is an affordable alternative to the traditional college pathway programs offered by other schools. Students will learn how to make a successful transition into college and to thrive once they get there.
The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) provides non-native English speakers with specific English language skills to prepare them for entering a U.S. university or the global marketplace. The English Language Academy (ELA) maintains a rigorous academic course of study, with a focus on five core skills and TOEFL preparation.
* The ELA now offers a shortened version of the Intensive English Program (Fall and Spring 7 weeks; Summer 5 weeks).
The ELA program includes:
- Pre-testing for accurate class placement
- Post-testing to highlight improvements
- Small classes on average 10 to 12 students for a strong connection with faculty
- Highly qualified, experienced professors with graduate degrees in English Language teaching
- Assistance with I-20s, if needed
Many of our successful graduates have gone on to undergraduate and graduate programs at the University of San Diego (USD) and across the country.
Who Should Attend
International students who are interested in admission to a US university or entering the global marketplace.
In order to receive a certificate, students are required to:
- Complete a minimum of 18 hours of coursework per week for a period of at least 7 weeks (Fall and Spring) or 5 weeks (Summer)
- Complete all coursework with an overall GPA of 2.0 (a grade of C-) or higher
Courses are delivered in the classroom format at the English Language Academy (ELA), on the campus of the University of San Diego.
The program is scheduled in 14-week semesters in the Fall and Spring, and a 10-week semester in the Summer. The ELA also offers a shortened version of the Intensive English Program, with two 7 week sessions in the Fall and Spring, and two 5-week sessions during the Summer. Approximately 18-24 hours of instruction are offered each week. All courses are located on the beautiful USD campus in San Diego, California.
The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) offers academic English in five skill areas to those wishing to enter a University or the global marketplace.
USD faculty and experienced practitioners provide a stimulating and participative learning environment. All instructors have earned a Masters degree or higher.
- Develop and expand your English language skills
- Build an academic vocabulary and strengthen your grammar skills
- Form an understanding of different English dialects and idioms
- Use engaging communication activities to significantly improve listening and understanding
- Prepare for and increase TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Training System) score
- Become familiar with American culture to better understand the background and values of Americans
- Apply new skills to successfully transition to college or enhance career
Of note: at the English Language Academy, Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) are specific to each skill/level
Call: (619) 260-7621
USD’s English Language Academy is a member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP) and Association of International Educators (NAFSA). Our Intensive English Language Program is accredited by CEA - the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation.