Develop and Expand English Language Teaching Skills
The TESOL Certificate Program gives participants the specialized training and skills needed for a successful career teaching or preparing to teach ESL to non-native English speaking students. University of San Diego faculty provide a theoretical foundation for second or foreign language teaching, as well as innovative insights, activities, and techniques for use in the classroom.
The TESOL Certificate Program offers:
- Graduate level credit (10 units) and a certificate from USD
- Highly-qualified professional faculty with advanced degrees and years of teaching experience
- Six units of credit towards a graduate degree in TESOL or in Education at USD’s School of Leadership and Education Sciences
- An affordable cost
- Examine and implement current theories for language acquisition in the classroom
- Use the latest methods of effective language instruction
- Improve English while learning from master teachers
- Learn new and practical classroom skills from specialists
Who Should Attend
The TESOL Certificate is for candidates who wish to teach English in adult and private sectors in the United States and all levels in overseas contexts. Recent graduates, career changers, aspiring educators and educators who wish to develop their competencies in the fields of TEFL and TESOL.
All courses in this program are delivered in the Online Fixed-Date format.
Technical Requirements for online courses.
USD faculty and experienced practitioners provide a stimulating and participative learning environment.
The program consists of five core courses for a total of 125 hours of instruction. Upon successful completion, students are awarded certification to teach English, which is accepted in most countries around the world. USD’s TESOL Certificate sets the standard for excellence in English language instruction.
If you have completed USD's TEFL Certificate, you have the option to continue your studies. Four units from your TEFL Certificate can be transferred into the TESOL Certificate Program, replacing two courses. Only three additional courses (ELTS-X701, ELTS-X702, and ELTS-X703) are needed to earn the TESOL Certificate.
Once the TESOL Certificate Program is completed, candidates will have the opportunity to transfer six units into USD's M.Ed. degree program, pending admission.
Complete the requirements below to earn a professional TESOL Certificate. The certificate can be completed in approximately ten months. Read Certificate Benefits and Policy.
- Complete five core courses (10 units, 125 hours)
- Complete the five required core courses with an grade average of a ”C” or better and an overall 2.5 GPA or higher to earn a professional certificate in TESOL. If you intend to request transferring any of these courses into a Master's program you will need a grade average of a ”B” or better and an overall 3.0 GPA or higher
We will work with private groups to customize the TESOL course of study to meet their needs by allowing them to substitute a core course(s) with an elective(s).
Contact us for a free proposal!
Call: (619) 260-7552
Schedule & Fees
|Course #||Courses (10 units)||Duration||SP||SU||FA||Fee|
|ELTS-X701||Essentials in Second Language Acquisition Theories (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||OFD||OFD||$449|
|ELTS-X702||Methods of Teaching ESL (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||OFD||OFD||$449|
|ELTS-X703||Teaching English as a Global Language (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||OFD||OFD||$449|
|ELTS-X704||Linguistics for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||OFD||OFD||$449|
|ELTS-X705||Practicum: Field Experience in a Foreign/Second Language Classroom (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||$449|
|One Time Certificate Fee||$45|
|Total Certificate Cost (5 courses)||$2,290|
|C = Classroom; OFD = Online Fixed-Date; OSP = Online Self-Paced; IS = Independent Study Self-Paced|