Develop and Expand English Language Teaching Skills
The TESOL Certificate Program gives participants the specialized training and skills needed for a successful career teaching or preparing to teach ESL to non-native English speaking students. University of San Diego faculty provide a theoretical foundation for second or foreign language teaching, as well as innovative insights, activities, and techniques for use in the classroom.
The TESOL Certificate Program offers:
- Graduate level credit (10 units) and a certificate from USD
- Highly-qualified professional faculty with advanced degrees and years of teaching experience
- Six units of credit towards a graduate degree in TESOL or in Education at USD’s School of Leadership and Education Sciences
- An affordable cost
Who Should Attend
The TESOL Certificate is for candidates who wish to teach English in adult and private sectors in the United States and all levels in overseas contexts. Recent graduates, career changers, aspiring educators and educators who wish to develop their competencies in the fields of TEFL and TESOL.
Schedule & Fees
|Course #||Courses (10 units)||Duration||SP||SU||FA||Fee|
|ELTS-X701||Essentials in Second Language Acquisition Theories (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||OFD||OFD||$449|
|ELTS-X702||Methods of Teaching ESL (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||OFD||OFD||$449|
|ELTS-X703||Teaching English as a Global Language (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||OFD||OFD||$449|
|ELTS-X704||Linguistics for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||OFD||OFD||$449|
|ELTS-X705||Practicum: Field Experience in a Foreign/Second Language Classroom (2 units)||7 weeks||OFD||$449|
|One Time Certificate Fee||$45|
|Total Certificate Cost (5 courses)||$2,290|
|C = Classroom; OFD = Online Fixed-Date; OSP = Online Self-Paced; IS = Independent Study Self-Paced *Schedule and fees subject to change|
If you have completed USD's TEFL Certificate, you have the option to continue your studies. Four units from your TEFL Certificate can be transferred into the TESOL Certificate Program, replacing two courses. Only three additional courses (ELTS-X701, ELTS-X702, and ELTS-X703) are needed to earn the TESOL Certificate.
Once the TESOL Certificate Program is completed, candidates will have the opportunity to transfer six units into USD's M.Ed. degree program, pending admission.
Complete the requirements below to earn a professional TESOL Certificate. The certificate can be completed in approximately ten months. Read Certificate Benefits and Policy.
- Complete five core courses (10 units, 125 hours)
- Complete the five required core courses with an grade average of a ”C” or better and an overall 2.5 GPA or higher to earn a professional certificate in TESOL. If you intend to request transferring any of these courses into a Master's program you will need a grade average of a ”B” or better and an overall 3.0 GPA or higher
The program consists of five core courses for a total of 125 hours of instruction. Upon successful completion, students are awarded certification to teach English, which is accepted in most countries around the world. USD’s TESOL Certificate sets the standard for excellence in English language instruction.
We will work with private groups to customize the TESOL course of study to meet their needs by allowing them to substitute a core course(s) with an elective(s).
Contact us for a free proposal!
Call: (619) 260-7552
- Understand the topics covered in an administrative program
- Familiarize yourself with the resources and tools available to assist you in effective program analysis and school accreditation
- Enhance and apply your knowledge about disciplinary issues using real world scenarios
- Gain practical and legal knowledge regarding staff evaluations and instructional coaching to improve the learning environment
- Apply decision making skills with the use of case studies
- Effectively communicate a clear vision and goals
- Understand the legal liabilities and requirements concerning fiscal and human resource management