Discover Forest School STEAM Teaching in the Outdoor Classroom
This unique two-course program, designed for K-6 teachers, introduces the Forest School's approach to nature-based learning across the whole curriculum, but specifically for STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics) instruction. Forest School pedagogy delivers learning in an outdoor natural setting and includes hands-on experiences for students that supports learning, development and confidence. This program includes a two-day nature immersion excursion in Tecolote Canyon Natural Park, San Diego.*
The courses represent equivalency with UK Forest School Leader 3 training, while aligning to learning outcomes across the U.S.'s K-6 curriculum. The program is taught by USD's Shiley Marcos School of Engineering's Professor Caroline Baillie, Engineer, STEAM educator and Forest School Leader. Courses can be taken together or individually.
*If students are unable to include the Tecolote Canyon Natural Park experience, we recommend that they contact the Instructor of the course prior to enrolling to make alternate arrangements. If there are group enrollments from a single school site, special arrangements for an alternate nature immersion can be made by contacting the instructor ahead of time.
Who Should Attend
Grade K-6 teachers and administrators who want to learn more about and practice the Forest School approach with STEAM teaching, while including a holistic outdoor focus for student learning.
Enroll in one or more courses in this program to earn graduate level extension credits. Successfully complete both EDU-X795R and EDU-X796R for a completion verification award.
You can expect the following from these online courses:
- Online activities, discussion and meetings with instructor
- Two-Day Outdoor Immersion (in person) for the EDU-X795R course
- Assessments include a Learning Journal and Portfolio (EDU-X795R) and developing a Forest School Handbook, implementing your Forest School STEAM practicum with guidance from instructor, including observation and feedback at your program progresses (EDU-X796R).
See each course page for required materials
- Discover how Forest School training integrated with STEAM teaching can provide a holistic learning experience for students
- Create customized curriculum that is Forest School/STEAM-based for your students
- Implement a successful Forest School/STEAM program with students from careful planning and management