Become an Event Planning Professional!
Whether you have to coordinate a small business meeting or a bigger event such as a wedding, conference, convention, or festival, your job as an event manager is to ensure that the purpose of the event is met proficiently and flawlessly. The University of San Diego's Event Management Certificate program provides the tools and comprehensive education in the essentials of event management from conception to evaluation to meet the goals in each one of the events you execute!
Current Career Trends
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and O*Net Online, a partner of American Job Center Network, the projected growth for meeting, convention and event planners is much faster than average at 22% nationally, and 33% in California (2012-2022).
- Employment in CA forecasted to add 3,234 positions through 2022
- Employment in US forecasted to add 20,680 positions through 2022
- Explore career opportunities within the event industry, while identifying which one of the industry’s pillars is right for you
- Design concepts based on event’s goals and objectives
- Describe and perform all phases of event coordination (research, design, planning, pre-production, on-site management, evaluation & post-event)
- Recognize and determine solutions for potential conflicts and challenges that may arise before, during and after an event
- Gain working knowledge of menu planning, pricing, food & beverage trends
- Create a seasonal menu and present different styles of service and fun ideas
- Apply best practices in budgeting, vetting, contracting and entertainment
- Integrate AV into your projects for a better client experience
- Identify specific potential risks associated with an event, and manage resources to mitigate those risks
- Complete a portfolio that can be presented to potential employers
Who Should Attend
This certificate program is intended for entry level event planners and people who are new to the industry. Whether you are an administrative assistant, entrepreneur, manager, or current event professional at an entry level position, who is interested in becoming responsible for coordinating small to large-scale events including meetings, fundraisings, conferences, corporate programs, weddings, reunions, sporting events, and more, this program is for you!
USD's Instructional team are experienced practitioners from the event management industry who provide a stimulating and participative learning environment for each course. The instructors have many years of combined experiences, tales from the trenches, actual case scenarios and expertise to share with all event management students. In addition, guest lectures working in the event industry are scheduled throughout the program.
Our highly-engaged courses are interactive using materials and activities from real events as well as group projects to provide you with a dynamic and thorough learning experience that will prepare you to enter or advance in this field. Students will take 9 units within the program, submit a portfolio of the work they have completed throughout the program, and fulfill a minimum of 50 hours of internship work to receive the Certificate of Completion in Event Management.
Complete the requirements below to earn a professional certificate in Event Management. The certificate can be completed in as little as nine months. Read Certificate Benefits and Policy.
- Complete 6 courses (9 units)
- Complete and present the capstone project (final assignment for the BUS-X839E: Risk Management and Capstone Project course)
- Complete a minimum of 50 hours of internship work, which is part of the BUS-X800: Internship course
- Attend 70% of scheduled classes (required for classroom format only)
Information Sessions & First Night Free
Find out how this program can help you achieve the career and training needed for your professional growth. Join us for a free informational session followed by a complimentary first night meeting and discover opportunities to advance your career and develop mobile skills. Click here for more information.
Schedule & Fees*Save 10%! Register Early – 4 Weeks Before the Start Date
|Course #||Core Courses||Duration||FA15||SP16||SU16||*Fee|
|BUS-X836E||Event Overview and Planning (2 units)||8 weeks||C: Sep 1 - Oct 20||C: Jan 14 - Mar 3||-||$725|
|BUS-X837E||Event Coordination and Production (2 units)||8 weeks||C: Oct 27 - Dec 15||C: Mar 10 - Apr 28||-||$725|
|BUS-X838E||Catering: Food and Beverage Coordination (1 unit)||4 weeks||-||C: Jan 5 - Jan 26||C: May 5 - May 26||$379|
|BUS-X835E||Event Entretainment and Audio-Visual (1 unit)||4 weeks||-||C: Feb 2 - Feb 23||C: Jun 2 - Jun 23||$379|
|BUS-X839E||Risk Management and Capstone Project (2 units)||8 weeks||-||C: Mar 1 - Apr 19||C: Jun 30 - Aug 18||$725|
|BUS-X800||Internship: Career Building Skills and Tools||48 weeks||OSP||OSP||OSP||$379|
|One Time Certificate Fee||$100|
|Total Certificate Cost (9 courses)||$3,412|
|C = Classroom; OFD = Online Fixed-Date; OSP = Online Self-Paced; IS = Independent Study Self-Paced|