Discover How You Can Provide Impactful Mental Health Ministry to Your Community
This course was designed to provide 1) basic mental health literacy, 2) a rationale for Catholic Mental Health Ministry and 3) the elements of Catholic Mental Health Ministry. Guidelines for implementing mental health ministry in a parish or school will be explored.
- Develop basic mental health literacy as an understanding of common mental health problems, how to reduce stigma associated with mental illness and how to make appropriate referrals for mental health services
- Differentiate mental health treatment from mental health ministry
- Discover organizations that provide educational resources and other supports to mental health ministry
- Learn about specific liturgical resources for mental health ministry
- Explore specific technologies that support the implementation of mental health ministry
- Develop a plan for implementing a mental health ministry in their faith community
Number of Units: 1.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for Catholic lay ministers, religious, priests, deacons, and school administrators interested in implementing mental health ministries in their parishes or schools.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to regulations from the U.S. Department of Education, the University of San Diego is unable to enroll students in its online programs who reside in Alabama, Arkansas, District of Columbia, Georgia, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Wisconsin. This restriction does not apply to applicants interested in a campus-based program.
"Thank you for the offering and leadership in Mental Health ministry." -- Fr. Tim Bushy, Providence St. Joseph Health, California
"Very enlightening; lots of useful information for improving and strengthening our Mental Health Ministry." -- Rebecca Wills
"The curriculum will be most helpful to me in developing my programming." -- Teresa Yohman, Diocese of Cleveland, Ohio
"I understand more about what I can do to help people in Kenya and other places. I have added mental health to my work load in Kenya." -- Cleo McLaughlin, Black United Fund of Texas
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Catholic Mental Health Ministry Series : Catholic Mental Health Ministry Series