Discover the Importance of Social Emotional Learning When Combined with STEAM
In order for students to take risks, try new ideas, develop skills to help them work positively and productively with peers, and to help them integrate cross disciplinary thinking, a high level social emotional curriculum and classroom environment is necessary. This course critically analyzes the various Social Emotional Learning (SEL) methods and research background on the benefits of teaching through the lens of SEL and how it can support students in a STEAM setting. Throughout this course participants will apply a critical understanding of what SEL is, teacher and student tools for implementing SEL in the classroom, case studies of how SEL can be applied, and the opportunity to create a STEAM project that implements SEL practices while using a Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS).
- Creating a culture in the classroom that looks at the whole child
- Design activities that have a Low Floor and High Ceiling
- Create activities that allow all students access to the curriculum that engages all learners
- Explore the implications and benefits of Social Emotional Learning in the STEAM classroom
Number of Units: 2.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for K-12 educators, as well as other school professionals that want to be informed on STEAM teaching.
Course Materials: There is no textbook requirement in this course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- STEAM Teaching for Tomorrow's Innovators Certificate : Courses - Enroll in Individual Courses, or Earn a Certificate with Required Courses (8 Units)