Become a Project Leader in the Construction Industry
In this course, students will gain an in-depth understanding of the Project Manager’s role in the construction industry. Emphasis will be placed on understanding factors that impact construction projects and their timely delivery. Through case studies, students will learn how to properly interface with stakeholders throughout project lifecycles by leveraging process groups and their processes. Project Integration Management will cover value engineering, contract management, strategic decision making and efforts to close projects.
- Identify the factors that make Project Management in the construction industry unique
- Explore methods for stakeholder governance, project life cycles, and interpersonal communications and responsibilities
- Distinguish the difference between knowledge areas and process groups, and learn how related process is leveraged to guide project efforts
- Survey global advances in technology and society, and familiarize yourself with the opportunities and impacts of these things in Construction Project Management
- Describe integration management and learn how industry-specific work like Value Engineering, Contract Commissioning, and Strategy formulation are of value for successful Integration Management
Number of Units: 2.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This continuing education course is intended for those who seek an understanding of a project manager's role within the construction industry.
- Construction Extension to the PMBOK® Guide by Project Management Institute, available at Amazon.com or your local bookstore.
- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)–Sixth Edition by Project Management Institute bundled with the Agile Practice Guide (2017) by PMI, available at Amazon.com or your local bookstore.
Remote Learning: The safety of our community is our top priority and we believe that extending remote teaching to support social distancing efforts is the best decision at this time. USD has created a dedicated COVID-19 website to serve as the first stop for the USD community for information. Visit the University’s COVID-19 website (sandiego.edu/coronavirus) for the most current information for the USD community.
"Mr. Walker is very knowledgeable in this field and has a very positive attitude towards teaching. He engages his students and asks them to demonstrate their knowledge to better relate the course material to our real life experiences. I've really enjoyed the course so far and look forward to rest of the year." - Gerardo Diaz
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Construction Project Management Certificate : Project Management Construction Certificate