Make Climate Change a Part of Your Curriculum to Empower Your Students
In this course, participants will explore the basic causes and effects of climate change and develop strategies and lesson plans for teaching climate change to K-12 students. Participants will become familiar with the Next Generation Science Standards that pertain to climate change issues. They will learn to design dynamic lessons using “best practices” in teaching strategies to engage their students and motivate them to take action towards environmental stewardship.
- Explain how scientists know Earth is warming
- Discuss the main causes and effects of climate change and the actions that can be taken to mitigate it
- Apply the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Disciplinary Core Ideas, Crosscutting Concepts, and Science and Engineering Practices to teaching climate change
- Identify effective teaching strategies and age-appropriate, credible web resources for teaching climate change
- Design lesson plans for teaching climate change that employ best practice teaching strategies
Number of Units: 2.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for K-12 teachers, all disciplines, who want to gain a new perspective on incorporating climate change content into their lessons to bring about awareness and positive change.
Course Materials: None
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Scientific Discoveries Series : Courses