The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) provides non-native English speakers with specific language skills to prepare them for entering a U.S. university or the global marketplace. University of San Diego's English Language Academy (ELA) maintains a rigorous academic course of study, with a focus on five core skills and TOEFL preparation. Many of our successful graduates have gone on to undergraduate and graduate programs across the country.
- Pre-testing for accurate class placement
- Post-testing to highlight improvements
- Small classes of 10-15 for a strong connection with faculty
- Highly qualified, experienced professors with graduate degrees and English Language teaching
- The program is scheduled in 14-week semesters in the Fall and Spring, and a 10-week semester in the Summer. There is a shortened version of the Intensive English Program with two 7 week sessions in the Fall and Spring, and two 5-week sessions during the Summer.
- Develop and expand your English language skills
- Build an academic vocabulary and strengthen your grammar skills
- Form an understanding of different English dialects and idioms
- Use engaging communication activities to significantly improve listening and understanding
- Prepare for and increase TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Training System) score
- Become familiar with American culture to better understand the background and values of Americans
- Apply new skills to successfully transition to college or enhance career
Of note: at the English Language Academy, Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) are specific to each skill/level.
Who Should Attend: International students who are considering entering a U.S. university or the global marketplace
Accommodations: Students may have an opportunity to stay in the university’s student residence halls. They are modern, clean and comfortable apartments, generally for eight students in twin-study bedrooms with two communal bathrooms and a living area. Each residence has its own reception area, round-the-clock security, vending machines and laundry facilities. Residential students have full-board which includes three meals per day. Campus housing is not available for the Short Term Intensive English Language Program.
Instructors: USD faculty and experienced practitioners provide a stimulating and participative learning environment. All instructors have earned a Master's Degree or higher.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Intensive English Language Certificate : Intensive English Language Programs - To Enroll and Learn More Click the Course Below