Become a Leader with Mental Health First Response Awareness - A Fully Online Program
Mental Health Triage is one of five courses in the Mental Health First Response Certificate program. This course assists school employees, volunteers and ancillary staff in determining the nature and severity of a potential mental health problem or emotional distress in a student. Mental health triage is much like traditional medical triage in that you are determining the nature and severity of potential risk to the individual, other students and staff. As a result you will be able to determine the immediacy and type of response required. An emphasis will be placed on action, understanding and compassion.
- Substantiate the need for school-based mental health triage
- Determine the nature, severity and immediacy of the required response when a student or students is/are in crisis including an imminent threat, acute distress, sub-acute and/or chronic concerns and associated response protocol
- Understand the importance of individual versus group mental health issues and the challenges associated with each
- Recognize chronic, sub-acute mental health concerns among students as well as understand appropriate risk measures and referral outcomes
- Use appropriate response patterns and protocols to ensure student safety
- Determine the importance of building a school-based Triage Team as well as how to identify additional resources and areas for future consideration
Number of Units: 2.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for K-12 educators, as well as other school professionals, such as school nurses, psychologists, counselors and administrators. Parents and school volunteers can also benefit from this program.
Course Materials: Text, Crisis Intervention Handbook: Assessment, Treatment and Research by Albert Roberts. This book is available at your local bookstore or online at Amazon.com.
EDU-X791J, Introduction to Mental Health First Response is recommended, but not required, to be completed prior to taking this course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Mental Health First Response Certificate : Courses - Enroll in Individual Courses, or Earn a Certificate with Required Courses (11 Units)