Explore Real Estate Capital Markets Through the Various Sources of Debt and Equity
This course will give the student a working knowledge of the types of income properties with emphasis on underwriting the cash flows from each of the four main property types. It will also identify sources of capital and analyze the types of financing available in today's commercial real estate markets.
- Understand property types and various forms of income and expense for each
- Comprehend mortgage underwriting and valuation and secondary mortgage market and securitization
- Define different types of real estate debt (construction and permanent loans, secondary and other debt)
- Identify capital market and sources of real estate capital
- Recognize sources of equity (pension funds, insurance companies, private investors)
Number of Units: 1.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: Professionals who wish to obtain a foundation for a career in real estate or students who seek to specialize within this one area of the real estate industry
Course Materials: All materials shared via Blackboard
Remote Learning: The safety of our community is our top priority and we believe that extending remote teaching to support social distancing efforts is the best decision at this time. USD has created a dedicated COVID-19 website to serve as the first stop for the USD community for information. Visit the University’s COVID-19 website (sandiego.edu/coronavirus) for the most current information for the USD community.
"I work in sustainability economics and public policy. When it comes down to it the market dynamics of land and real estate are a powerful factor in overall land use decisions that must be understood and accounted for in sustainability policies and planning. --Ryan Wiggins, Senior Associate Economics and Planning, AECOM
"Great course! Scott is very smart and well versed in commercial RE (CRE) finance. He presented the material really well with lot of relevant local case studies. --Chad Johsnton, Real Estate Development Associate, Capstone Advisors
"It gave me a broad knowledge of the different types of finance for different types and stages of a project. This is incredibly helpful for me as I aim to join a family real estate development company." -- Student, Fall 2019
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Real Estate Finance, Investments and Development Certificate : Core Courses - To Enroll and Learn More Click a Course