Be A Changemaker. Move From Teacher to Teacher Leader - A Fully Online Course
Instructional leadership is at the heart of being a school leader. And in the current climate of assessment, evaluation and competitive comparison between schools, making sound instructional decisions as well as being an instructional resource is key to being a successful leader. This course will address instructional evaluation and assessment, review instructional strategies that can be used in coaching teachers and provide support to facilitate growth and improvement on a campus. This course is part of the Teacher Leader Certificate program that provides teachers with training in educational issues, laws, and programs to enable you to transition into teacher leader roles on your campus. You will also examine the requirements of the California Preliminary Administrative Credential Exam (CPACE) and develop your own plan for professional development.
- Think like a teacher leader and administrator
- Understand and use practical and legal knowledge regarding staff evaluations (certificate and classified)
- Have a deeper knowledge of the legal restraints and requirements of evaluations
- Understand and evaluate the role and impact of successful instructional coaching in light of the overall learning environment
- Be familiar and comfortable with the research-based strategies to coach and support staff towards more effective instruction
- Comprehend the relationship between instructional leadership and school improvement
Number of Units: 2.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education to K-12 teachers interested in becoming a teacher leader at their school or district, or eventually pursuing an administrative credential, and any educator in the state of California looking for CPACE exam preparation.
Course Materials: Text, What Successful Mentors Do: 81 Research-Based Strategies for New Teacher Induction, Training, and Support, by Hicks, Glasgow, and McNary, available at your local bookstore or online at Amazon.com.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Teacher Leader Certificate : Courses - Enroll in Individual Courses, or Earn a Certificate with Required Courses (10 Units)