Teaching of English as a Second Language
Students will gain an understanding of important concepts in the field of linguistics as it applies to pedagogical methods and language learning in an ESL classroom.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)
- Interpret and apply phonological methods in analyzing linguistic components of language
- Use morphology to assist ESL students in understanding the structure of words
- Use syntax to assist ESL students in understanding the structure of sentences
- Employ semantics to assist ESL students in understanding the meaning of language
- Address common linguistic questions that arise in the language classroom
Number of Units: 2.0 units of graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for recent college graduates, career changers and educators who wish to develop their competencies in the field of TESOL.
Course Materials: Two texts, Linguistics for Teaching English in Multilingual Classrooms by Sarina Chugani Molina, available at your local bookstore or online at Amazon.com and Lives on the Boundary: A Moving Account of the Struggles and Achievements of America's Educationally Underprepared by Mike Rose, available at your local bookstore or online at Amazon.com.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate : Courses - Enroll in Individual Courses, or Earn a Certificate with Required Courses (10 Units)