Learn How Social-Emotional Development is Critical to Today's Student
This course examines the what, how, and why of emotions and social skills that matter in schools, homes, and the workplace. Daniel Goleman's book, Emotional Intelligence, reports that high IQ scores account for about 20% of a person's success in life, while some of the remaining 80% can be accounted to a person's Emotional Intelligence (Goleman 1995).
- Identify literature about social-emotional learning and teaching
- Examine, compare, and reflect upon the importance and significance of this topic for life in schools, homes, and the workplace
- Analyze the SEL research on “what works” and “best practices” in schools and determine how the content may be applied in the home and workplace
- Implement strategies and activities that promote a range of social, emotional and personal skills in schools, classrooms, homes, corporations and businesses
- Explain why student skill development is related to character and social-emotional skill development
- Assess the necessity for schools to create a balance between academic coursework and the social-emotional learning needs of students and provide both academic and life skills in the classroom
Number of Units: 2.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for teachers and administrators (K-12) interested in learning how to plan and implement character development education into the classroom, school and/or district. Other professionals working with youth may also benefit from this program. This program will provide everything you need to plan, deliver, and assess character education best practices for the learning environment.
Course Materials: There are no book requirements for this course. All materials are embedded within the online course.
"Always a great experience with the professor and with the content. I get so much out of the certificat[es]/classes I take with USD! Thank you!" -- Justine Tidalgo, Educator, Granada Hills Charter, Los Angeles, California
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Character Education Development Certificate : Courses - Enroll in Individual Courses, or Earn a Certificate with Required Courses (8 units)