Improve your conversational skills in a relaxed environment, and take advantage of all the wonderful sights that San Diego - America's Finest City- has to offer.
The English Language Academy's (ELA) General English Program is a four-week course for non-native English speakers who wish to improve their ability to communicate in a variety of social situations. The program offers:
- Small classes, enabling a stronger connection with instructors and other international students
- Interacting with highly qualified and experienced English as a Second Language instructors
- A communicative approach to language-learning, providing students with greater opportunities to practice their English in the classroom
- Integrated skills classes (combining listening, speaking, reading, writing and grammar); resulting in a theme-based curriculum, encouraging students to speak English as much as possible
- A certificate upon successful completion of the program
Who Should Attend
International students who prefer a short-term English course, geared towards improving general communication skills.
Instruction is delivered in the classroom format at the English Language Academy (ELA), on the campus of the University of San Diego.
The General English Program is scheduled in 4-week increments in Fall, Spring and Summer semesters, and includes 17.5 hours per week of classroom instruction.
ELA's General English Program improves the confidence of non-native English speakers to communicate in English in a variety of settings.
Qualified and experienced ESL instructors offer a stimulating and participative learning environment.
- Developing conversational skills for use in a variety of settings such as international travel and social events
- Building vocabulary, including idioms
- Learning about American Culture
To earn a General English Program certificate, students must successfully complete all coursework with a final GPA of at least 2.0 (out of 4) or higher.
Francine Chemnick, Director
Tel: (619) 260-7621
Memberships and Associations
USD's English Language Academy is a member of English USA (formerly the American Association of Intensive English Progams), and NAFSA (the Association of International Educators).