Make a Greater Difference: Learn How Nonprofits Work
This course provides a foundation for understanding nonprofit organizations within the greater context of the nonprofit sector and society as a whole. Students will learn about the characteristics of nonprofit organizations/nonprofit organizational structures, dimensions of the nonprofit sector, how the nonprofit sector developed in the U.S. and understand theories about why the sector exists in its current form. The economics of the nonprofit sector will be explored as will emerging sector trends.
- An increased understanding of the role of nonprofits in the Unite States as well as the different sub-sectors within the sector
- Knowledge of the predominant models and theories of nonprofit management and the current trends shaping activity in the sector
- Understanding of key theories of board governance
- Substantial knowledge about the essential role of sound business practices in the operation of nonprofit corporations
Number of Units: 1.0 graduate level extension credit in semester hours
Course Format: All courses are delivered as Online Fixed-Date format
Required Materials: All required materials are available through the online learning platform.
"A fantastic overview for those in or looking to enter the nonprofit sector." — Stephen Aherne
"I highly recommend both this course, and Leslie Hennessy, the professor." — Kayla Hardin
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Nonprofit Management Certificate : Core Courses - To Enroll and Learn More Click a Course Below