Transform Your Classroom with Google Technology Tools
Our Google for Teachers courses help teachers learn how to use the extremely popular tools offered through the tech giant’s Google for Education (or G Suite for Education) program. Now, more than ever, educators are utilizing technology to facilitate and maximize learning for their students. In this series, educators of all levels of experience will gain the knowledge and confidence they need to implement the latest Google programs into their classroom. Through our Google for Teachers coursework, educators will learn how to maximize Google’s Suite of free productivity tools to allow for:
- A more organized and managed classroom
- The creation of innovative lessons with the use of Google tools
- Collaboration between you and colleagues
- Collaboration amongst students
- Transforming learning with these changemaking skills
Who Should Attend
These courses are for K-12 educators (but can also be applicable to community college instructors), who want to incorporate technology into their teaching practice to transform their classroom and increase student engagement and motivation.
Participants in the USD Google for Teachers series can expect the following benefits:
- Become familiar with G Suite for Education and current uses in K-12 education
- Utilize Google Applications and Extensions to promote efficiency in one's teaching practice
- Create curriculum that engages Google tools to promote student learning and increase student motivation
Benefits of USD’s Remote Teaching Strategies Series
Participants in the remote teaching strategies series can expect the following benefits:
- Learn how to connect to students while teaching remotely
- Discover teaching strategies and skills that engage technology for the remote classroom
- Develop habits that bring ease and joy to your teaching
- Multiple courses that all offer instruction on different areas of remote teaching and how to improve it.
This series consists of six online self-paced courses that cover a wide range of topics within the Google for Education universe. You can take one course or enroll in multiple courses depending on your need and interests. Through these courses, participants will advance their teaching skills, content knowledge and promote learning for themselves and their students. Some of the courses in this series build upon each other, but as everyone has different levels of experience and knowledge of Google, the series allows for each participant to gauge what their needs are.
- EDU-X718P Remote Learning Readiness with Basic Google Tools: This course introduces educators to basic Google tools, allowing them to become more comfortable and confident to effectively and efficiently implement into their teaching practice.
- EDU-X772M Google Tools for Collaborative Teaching: Learn the basics of some of the top Google tools, while designing lessons and units for students aligned with Common Core State Standards and International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Standards.
- EDU-X777L Advanced Google Tools: This course will take a more in-depth look at the Google for Teachers applications, giving educators more tools to utilize in their classroom.
- EDU-X777O Google Tools Curriculum Planning: Educators will put their new skills to use by creating a real curriculum that employs Google tools.
- EDU-X781L Chromebooks in the Classroom: Learn how to maximize the use of Chromebooks in the classroom, including the use of Google Apps for Education suite of applications.
- EDU-X798O Supporting Learners with Google Classroom: Learn the latest best practices for Google Classroom, including partnering Classroom with Drive, organizing classes, maximizing collaborative tools, using the gradebook and using the parent communication feature.
Online Learning Info
We understand that educators today are extremely busy and finding time to fit in professional development can seem impossible. That is why our Google for Teachers series is designed in an Online Self-Paced format. In this format, class participants will have six months from enrollment to complete their coursework, at their own pace and at the times that work best for them.
Additional online learning information to be aware of includes:
- You can go online whenever is most convenient, completing your course within six months from enrollment
- As long as you have access to the Internet (and any required textbooks, if applicable), you can complete assignments
- You'll read articles and watch videos, and interact with resources provided within courses
- Completed assignments are submitted and then evaluated by your instructor
- Instructor interaction and feedback are provided between assignments
Job Market and Career Outlook
Tiffani Brown, M.A. in Teaching and M.A. in English Literature and Film Studies, is an educator with over fifteen years of experience in the public school system. Tiffani is the Director of Instructional Technology in the Grossmont Union High School District. She has also served as a Vice Principal in the Santee School District. Prior to this role, Ms. Brown served as a Curriculum Resource Teacher on Special Assignment in the Santee School District where she focused on the creation and implementation of rigorous, innovative curriculum as well as the implementation of Santee’s first 1:1 iPad program. Additionally, Tiffani is a Google Apps for Education Authorized Educator and Certified Trainer, and the Vice President of San Diego CUE. Areas of passion and expertise include Personalized Learning, Student Choice, and Educational Technology.
Testimonials“I am thankful for this course. It has helped me become confident in Google Tools that I will need to use next year in my classroom, especially if we are remote learning.” - Laura Danczyk, Educator, Helendale, CA
"My experience in EDU-X718P Remote Learning Readiness with Basic Google Tools was everything I could have hoped for and more! This class gave me the basics in Google Tools that I did not have much experience within the classroom. After taking this course, I will be able to engage my students with enhanced lessons making instruction fun, not only for my students, but for me as well. Furthermore, by taking this course, it will allow me to prepare content that my students will have access to at all times and they will be able to work with at their own pace." - Ryan Yamashiro, Educator, Pomona, CA
"One of the best online classroom experiences I've had." - Jodi Disario, San Jose Unified School District
"Wow! This is a fantastic course! When I reviewed my final project, I was blown away at how much I learned. I can directly relate the course assignments to my curriculum, and I am already producing many follow-on student lessons using what I learned. I also found this course applicable to my everyday organization and effectiveness. The Gmail module helped me organize (and finally find) many conversations within my folders. I am also creating many useful sub-labels in preparation for the new school year. Again, I really enjoyed this challenging and useful course." - Gary Ardo, Educator, DoDEA
"As a classroom teacher I found Chromebooks in the Classroom a great learning tool for how to incorporate Chromebooks into my classroom on a daily basis. The hands-on assignments made it easy to learn and understand. I can see this being a great resource both for myself and my students." - S. Davies, 2nd Grade Educator
Q: How long are the courses?
A: The courses in this series are Online Self-Paced, which means you will have a six-month (180-day) window to complete all course work from the time of enrollment. One can finish a course sooner or take the full six months.
Q: How do I enroll in a course?
A: You can enroll in individual courses of your choice at the course description page. You can also enroll by calling us at (619) 260-4585 or toll free at (888) 321-6658 during business hours, M-F, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM (PST).
Q: Do I need any prior experience with Google to take these courses?
A. We recommend that if you do not have experience with basic Google functions and tools available, that you begin with either EDU-X718P or EDU-X772M. Please view each course description to see what tools are covered so you can determine which course is most appropriate for you to start with.
Q: I am not very tech savvy — will that limit my ability to get the most of these courses?
A. The USD instructors who teach the Google for Teachers series are accustomed to teaching students of various experience levels. They are available to assist throughout the course and will help you through the learning process.