Developing SEL with Students in the Classroom with Technology
This course introduces educators to exciting ways to communicate and engage with technology in the learning environment to improve Social Emotional Learning (SEL). Educators will research and discover, in detail, how to effectively and efficiently use and implement the tools learned in the course to engage with students in the teaching/learning environment. Educators will learn how to integrate the skills learned to facilitate student engagement and motivation.
In the three-unit version of this course, educators will apply the knowledge gained to develop interactive learning experiences and/or lesson plans to be immediately implemented in their classrooms.
Former Title: Social Emotional Learning with Remote Teaching: Engagement with Technology. This course has content equivalency to the following courses, and cannot be taken again: EDU-X798R and EDU-X799R.
- Research and explore the use of social emotional learning techniques and tools to maximize student engagement
- Identify the core competencies of social-emotional learning using the CASEL model
- Learn how to use different technology tools to enhance learning and student engagement
- Create examples and projects that can be implemented in the classroom
- Understand how SEL can positively affect learning, skill acquisition, and motivation
- Become aware of the uniqueness of engaging with EdTech to enhance SEL in the classroom
- Become knowledgeable on the effectiveness and efficiency of different SEL teaching and learning strategies
- Continually reflect on research and work completed
- Develop an interactive learning experience for your class
- Develop a lesson plan to implement in their classroom (3-unit version only)
Number of Units: 2.0 and 3.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours. Choose only one option. Once enrolled in a section, you will not be able to transfer to a different unit value section. Choose section 006 for two-units and section 007 for three-units at the time of enrollment.
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for K-12 educators, administrators, and any other interested stakeholder, wanting to learn about and understand SEL teaching and learning in the classroom environment using technology to enhance student engagement.
Course Materials: No textbook required. Participants will need access to Google Suite applications, PDF Viewer, and access selected free technology-based platforms for some assignments.
"Well organized. Easy to follow." -- Nathale Romero, Educator, Los Angeles Unified School District, CA
"The class was super organized and of great value to me. I have some tools I can definitely take into the new school year." -- Catherine Fain, Educator, North Carolina
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Beginning Teachers Series : Courses - Enroll in One or More
- Learning and Teaching in a K-12 Digital Classroom Series : Courses - Enroll in One or More
- Professional Teachers Program Series : Courses - Enroll in One or More
- Remote Teaching and Learning Series : Courses - Choose One or More