Model and Promote Well-being to Your Students
Learn how to enhance classroom productivity, decrease stress and cultivate a caring and peaceful classroom that enhances the sense of well-being among students and staff while encouraging collaboration and fostering a sense of excitement about learning. Sound too good to be true? It's not. Educators across the nation are implementing mindfulness strategies to create a happier, healthier, and more productive classroom experience. Emphasis is on self-care, as well as real-life classroom strategies for both staff and students.
This course will introduce educators to the concept of mindful education including real life applications that help reduce stress and increase success among students and staff.
Who Would Benefit?
This course will introduce teachers/educators to the concept of mindful education including real life applications that help reduce stress and increase success among students and staff.
- Teachers seeking to enhance their own personal and professional well-being
- Teachers searching for a way to cultivate a compassionate, caring and creative classroom while enhancing quality instruction
- Teachers that regularly work with students that have a physical, mental or emotional disability as well as those who work with abused, traumatized or neglected students including those in foster care
- Teachers tasked with the challenge of integrating diverse cultural, socio-economic or other highly variable populations into a cohesive and peaceful whole
- Describe why mindfulness is important to learning and identify mindfulness-related concepts and definitions, rationale and benefits of a mindful classroom
- Identify and monitor personal/individual levels of mindfulness among students and staff
- Develop a mindfulness map and classroom plan of action designed to cultivate well-being in the classroom
- Explore how to create a ripple effect by cultivating a compassionate classroom
- Evaluate mindfulness concepts, programs and practices to determine the "best fit" for your school
- Create a mindfulness took-kit of best practice skills and resources
- Learn how to integrate mindfulness in any classroom or academic setting
Number of Units: 3.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for teachers (Grade K-12) seeking to enhance their own personal and professional well-being, including entire school staffs searching for a way to cultivate a compassionate, caring and creative classroom while enhancing quality instruction. Administrators and school nursing staff, counselors, coaches will also benefit from this course.
Course Materials: No textbook requirementTechnical Requirements
"I really enjoyed the class! Reading materials and videos were informative. Thank you." -- Loan Wendt, Educator, Long Beach Unified School District, Long Beach, California
"The most valuable thing that I have learned is that being in tune with all aspects of yourself (body, mind, breath) means being present. I have realized that I am not always present, and that I have a mind that is trained to consume and move on to the next thing. I have already made steps to change my mindset, and hope to continue to do so." -- Andrew Herrmann, Educator, Havertown, Pennsylvania
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Teacher Wellness Series : Courses - Enroll in One or More