Increase Literacy in Your Classroom with New Tools
Dynamic Vocabulary Instruction is designed to help K-12 educators examine and diversify literacy tools for vocabulary instruction to promote learning and improve academic success.
- Utilize a wide range of literacy tools for learning vocabulary as an adult learner
- Concept Circles
- Concept Ladder
- Concept and Vocabulary: Categories and Labels
- Contextual Redefinition
- Focused CLOZE
- Frayer Model
- Frequent Contact
- "I'm Thinking of a Word . . . "
- I Spy: A Word Scavenger Hunt
- Possible Questions
- Possible Sentences
- Previewing Content Vocabulary
- Semantic Features Analysis
- Survival of the Fittest
- Word Sort
- Word Walls
- Explore a number of ways that vocabulary literacy tools can be used by K-12 educators
- Explain the purpose and value of each vocabulary literacy tool covered in this course
- Review related educational research
- Plan lessons using several of vocabulary literacy tools
Number of Units: 3.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for teachers (K-12). Coursework is adaptable for elementary grades.
Course Materials: Text, Inside Words: Tools for Teaching Academic Vocabulary Grades 4-12, by Janet Allen, available at your local bookstore or online at Amazon.com and Text, Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction, by Isabel Beck, Margaret McKeown and Linda Kucan, available at your local bookstore or online at Amazon.com.
Hardware Requirements: Internet access is required.
"I learned a lot of practical information that I was able to apply with my students immediately and it has been very effective!" -- Melissa Stark, Educator, Long Beach Unified School District, California
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- Literacy Toolbox Series : Courses - Enroll in One or More