Learn to communicate more effectively in an English-speaking environment.
The Pronunciation of American English Program is a 10-week course for non-native English speakers who wish to learn how to communicate more clearly and effectively in an American English-speaking environment. Participants will improve their ability to speak clearly and effectively in English, while addressing some aspects of accent reduction and building self-confidence. The Program features:
- Knowledgeable, experienced instructors with advanced degrees
- Pair and group exercises and practice
Who Should Attend
Non-native English speakers who need to improve the clarity and effectiveness of their verbal communication for professional, academic, or personal reasons.
Instruction is delivered in the classroom format at the English Language Academy (ELA), on the campus of the University of San Diego.
Pronunciation of American English is a 10-week course, offered in Fall, Spring and Summer semesters, and includes 3 hours per week of classroom instruction.
The Pronunciation of American English Program allows non-native English speakers to improve their communication skills in an American English-speaking environment.
Qualified and experienced ESL instructors offer a stimulating and participative learning environment.
- Recognize and distinguish English phonemes and corresponding IPA symbols
- Learn about syllables, syllable stress, and common stress patterns
- Differentiate between voiced and voiceless sounds
- Learn about the importance of linking and intonation patterns
- Learn how to create thought groups and consonant clusters
- Improve self-confidence
An intermediate or advanced level of English proficiency is required.
Tel: (619) 260-4234
Memberships and Associations
USD's English Language Academy is a member of English USA (formerly the American Association of Intensive English Progams), and NAFSA (the Association of International Educators).