Build a Positive Environment in the Classroom - A Fully Online Program
Take an individual course or work toward earning a certificate with multiple courses!
The Effective Classroom Management Solutions Certificate helps new teachers develop a classroom management approach and offers experienced teachers’ the opportunity to improve their existing practices. Good classroom management is necessary to create an effective learning environment for ALL students. Our classroom management certificate was designed to help teachers learn how to make the classroom a place where both you and your students can focus on educational goals and be successful. Using specialized tools and strategies, you will learn how to help students become more engaged through intrinsic motivation and encourage positive intrapersonal and interpersonal relationships at school, home and within the community.
Schedule & Fees
|Course #||Courses (11 units)||Duration||SP||SU||FA||Fee|
|up to 6 months||OSP||OSP||OSP||$307|
|EDU-X702A||Teaching Positive Social Skills to Students
|up to 6 months||OSP||OSP||OSP||$489|
|EDU-X700A||Teaching Methods for Diverse Learners
|up to 6 months||OSP||OSP||OSP||$489|
|EDU-X796 or EDU-X797 or EDU-X735R||Maximizing Student Achievement through Classroom Management (Elementary or Secondary) or Introduction to Restorative Practices
Choose one. (3 units/each)
|up to 6 months||OSP||OSP||OSP||$489|
|One Time Certificate Fee||$45|
|Total Certificate Cost (4 courses)||$1,819|
|C = Classroom; OFD = Online Fixed-Date; OSP = Online Self-Paced; IS = Independent Study Self-Paced|
*Schedule and Fees are subject to change.
Who Should Attend
Benefits of USD's Effective Classroom Management Solutions Certificate
- Analyze current classroom management styles and techniques and implement new practices to promote positive social skills and behaviors in the classroom.
- Gain confidence in your ability to address conflict in the classroom and find resolutions for all parties.
- Learn how to create and nurture a positive learning environment that allows all students to strive for excellence.
Classroom Management Certificate Program Learner Outcomes
You can expect the following from our online classroom management courses:
- Evaluate strategies for promoting good social skills
- Investigate strategies for preventing and dealing with bullies
- Analyze classroom management styles
- Develop instructional strategies that promote desired behaviors
- Examine elements of a positive learning environment
- Establish and promote effective classroom rules and procedures
- Assess the intrinsic and extrinsic motivators of students
- Survey the role of teachers in reaching every student and closing achievement gaps
- Identify techniques for conflict resolution in the classroom
- Appraise strategies for using peer mediation as a means of resolving and preventing conflict
Classroom Management Certificate Program Curriculum
Enroll in courses individually or opt to pursue the certificate by taking all required courses, while earning graduate-level extension credits.
You can expect the following from online self-paced courses:
- Completed assignments are submitted and then evaluated by assigned instructor
- Go online when it’s convenient for you, completing courses within six months from enrollment
- Instructor interaction and feedback are provided between assignments
- Read articles, watch videos, and interact with resources provided within the course completely online
- As long as you have access to the Internet (and any textbook requirements stated, if applicable), you can complete assignments
Complete three required courses and choose one elective course for a total of 11 units to earn a professional certificate in Effective Classroom Management Solutions. The certificate can be completed in as few as two semesters. Learn more about the University of San Diego’s Professional and Continuing Education Certificate Benefits and Policies.
- EDU-X776- Classroom Management (prev #: EDU-508ZB)
- EDU-X702A- Teaching Positive Social Skills to Students (prev #: 506YG)
- EDU-X700A- Teaching Methods for Diverse Learners (prev #: 506YE)
Elective Courses (choose one)
- EDU-X796 Maximizing Student Achievement through Classroom Management (Elem) (prev#: EDU-506YA)
- EDU-X797 Maximizing Student Achievement through Classroom Management (Sec) (prev #: EDU-506YB)
- EDU-X735R Introduction to Restorative Practices
Learn more about the benefits and policies of University of San Diego | Division of Professional and Continuing Education’s certificate programs.
Experienced Faculty Instructors
Our instructors, most of whom hold advanced degrees, are experienced practitioners and subject matter experts who engage each student in a stimulating and participative learning environment. Their years of classroom experience allow them to share their specialized knowledge to participants on how to engage different learning styles and foster an inclusive and positive learning environment for everyone.
“The instructor was great. She gave good feedback and support that went beyond the online classroom.” - Hillary Gutierrez
“A great class and great instructor. I can use what I learned immediately in my first-grade classroom.” - Laura Caffo
"Overall, I had an excellent instructor, and the coursework was excellent. I’m very happy with my experience!” - Melanie Schlager
The University of San Diego is a Top 100 nationally ranked university that provides top-tier education programs for learners interested in improving their skills in a wide variety of industries: business, education, healthcare, and more. Our accomplished faculty have first-hand field experience that allows them to share unique insights to enhance your learning outcomes. The University of San Diego’s Division of Professional and Continuing Education is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges – Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Classroom Management Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I am a veteran teacher; will I gain anything from this program?
Yes! Whether you are a beginning teacher or a veteran teacher, there is always room for improvement. If you are struggling with your classroom management or are just looking for new ideas, this program will give you the tools and strategies to enhance your classroom environment to promote learning for all.
My teacher evaluation indicated that I need to make some changes over the next year. Will this program help me?
Yes! This classroom management certificate program provides you with the opportunity to review and analyze how you have been addressing conflict in the classroom. You will be introduced to new strategies and techniques that will help you develop a plan that will work for your classroom and your students. By participating in this course, you can show your administration that you are developing new skills with this program. Both you and your students will benefit from your learning!
Will I be able to start implementing my learning immediately?
Yes! USD’s Effective Classroom Management Solutions Certificate courses are designed for you to gain new skills, resources and techniques that you can begin to use in the classroom. No need to wait till the next school year.
Online Learning Information
The idea of trying to attend classes to further your education while also balancing regular work and life might sound challenging. That’s why at USD, we offer our classroom management certificate courses online; you can complete your coursework on your own time in a flexible yet challenging online learning program. Some of the chief benefits of online learning include:
- Our online courses offer the same high-quality content and expert instruction as our on-campus courses.
- Online learning allows students to interact with classmates worldwide and offers rich and meaningful interactions through weekly discussion forums, chats and email.
- Online learning offers students the flexibility to complete the work on their own schedule while balancing the responsibilities of life and academics.
Review information on the basics of online learning through the University of San Diego’s Division of Professional and Continuing Education and the technical requirements to determine if online study is right for you.