Turn Your Reading Into Positive and Effective Improvement in Your Classroom or at Your School
Read, Empower, Act, Discover (R.E.A.D.) Part II Series consists of independent study follow-up to the corresponding R.E.A.D. Part I courses, designed for educators who wish to journey further into today's issues and concerns that impact our schools. In R.E.A.D. Part II courses, participants will build on the ideas and perspectives learned in the previous course by pursuing avenues of further research and will develop an action plan to promote positive change within education.
Who Should Attend
These courses are designed for K-12 teachers, administrators, early-childhood educators, community college level instructors, museum personnel; other educators may also find the course helpful. NOTE: If you are a DoDEA educator, you may want to consider USD's course series Project READ for DoDEA/Int'l School Educators Series which similarly has courses tied to books that have been recommended by DoDEA. Prior district approval is highly recommended and the responsibility of the student if using course units toward salary advancement, credential renewing, and/or recertification. Not all courses may qualify in your local school district.
- After completing a R.E.A.D. Part I Series course, choose the follow-up course that corresponds to the same book title from the R.E.A.D. Part II Series. Scroll through the course list on this page to find courses. Course instructions will be available to you upon enrollment.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter presented in the book to relate to the context of education; to influence other educators to embrace best practices in promoting learning; and internalize lessons from the literature to promote positive change in education.
- Use online research skills to locate relevant content articles and/or videos
- Create a professional development presentation for other educators
- Develop a personal implementation plan which will bring about positive change
Click on the book category that corresponds to the prerequisite course to find the course that you want to enroll in now. Categories include Arts Education, Classroom Practice, Community Connections, Diversity and Inclusion, Educational Leadership (for Teachers), Educational Technology, English Language Arts, English Language Learners, Foreign Language Learning/LOTE, Health, Physical Education & Coaching, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies.
Enroll in one or more courses in this series after completing prerequisite course(s) in R.E.A.D. Part I Series.
- Contextualize the subject matter presented in today's classroom and educational environment
- Synthesize an action plan to promote best practices in teaching and learning
Each course in this series requires access to the book listed on the course page (same book used in the prerequisite course). Internet access is required to complete assignments. Course instructions will be available upon enrollment under this course in your account.
- Enroll in the course that corresponds to the prerequisite R.E.A.D. Part I Series course that you have already completed.
- Upon receipt of enrollment and payment confirmation by email, detailed course instructions will be available under My Courses in your account at http://PCE.sandiego.edu.
- Upon completion of all assignments, you will submit an electronic file of your completed work by uploading it to the course under My Courses in your account at http://PCE.sandiego.edu. The assigned instructor will review and evaluate your work, and provide you with feedback via email. One complimentary official transcript with your final grade will be sent to your mailing address on file, via standard U.S. Postal Service mail.